Water Safety Instructor Course
Throughout the courses we'll focus on a number of key areas that can help you succeed as aquatics instructor, such as:
- Water safety at public pools, homes, natural bodies of water and more, including the Circle of Drowning Prevention and Chain of Drowning Survival.
- Hydrodynamics, including why some things float, resistance to movement and creating movement in water, swimming efficiency and laws of levers.
- Basic safety, survival and swimming skills to help children gain water competency.
- Helping people with disabilities and other health conditions enjoy the water safely.
Water Safety Instructors will also learn how to teach:
- Higher-level swim skills that help prepare people of all ages for any aquatic activity.
- Stroke mechanics for all competitive strokes as well as starts, turns and headfirst entries.
- Water safety certification courses, including Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
- Fundamentals of diving from a diving board.
- Aquatic fitness and training for people of any age.
WSI Session 1
Participants must be able to demonstrate the ability to perform the following skills (on the first day of class) consistent with Level 4 swim technique: swim 25 yards- Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, and Sidestroke plus 15 yards of Butterfly. Additionally, participants must be at least 16 years of age by the end of the course.