practice safe SUN Contest 2018
MARCH 1-April 9, 2018
“Love the Skin You’re In”
With nearly 9,500 people diagnosed with skin cancer per day in the U.S., why do students willingly choose to put their bodies in harm’s way by not actively participating in sun protective measures? One common answer to this question is that students feel they must be perfectly tanned to be beautiful or that they are not susceptible to skin damage- NEITHER OF THESE ARE TRUE. The sun can and will damage any skin – this can range from a sun burn that’ll ruin your day to Melanoma that will end your life.
We love the Sun and encourage enjoying the great outdoors, but like any relationship, you need to know how to protect yourself! With Spring Break right around the corner, join us, the University of Arizona and Sun Bum, in raising awareness about how to enjoy the sun safely and continue to love the skin you’re in for years to come! Show us how you would creatively promote skin safety to your peers for your chance to win up to $1,000 in cash and prizes! ($500 cash and $500 Sun Bum prize pack*)
All Wildcats can use the code “SUNBUMWILDCAT” for 25% off orders at www.trustthebum.com
1. Entry must be submitted by April 9, 2018 on the Facebook Event PAGE HERE as the official submission. Committees will be judging videos based on CONTENT and the ability for the video to go VIRAL (by April 13, 2018) on multiple social media platforms. Please use the following hashtags and appropriate handles when sharing your video (for tracking purposes):
- #PracticeSafeSun (and tagging @UACampusRec where appropriate)
- #TrustTheBum (and tagging @sunbum where appropriate)
2. Entry must be an original and creative VIDEO (no shorter than 10 seconds and no longer than 45 seconds).
3. Entry must touch on at least ONE (or more) of the following points:
- Most skin cancer is caused by ultraviolet radiation (UVR) from the sun and tanning beds.
- THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS A SAFE TAN! Avoid tanning of any kind. Tan skin is your body’s natural defense against UVR. If you have a tan, it means you’ve done damage to your skin.
- Your skin is BEAUTIFUL... so keep it that way! Use sun protection daily.
- NOBODY IS SAFE! No matter what color your skin is, you are still susceptible for developing skin damage.
- DO NOT BURN! Just one blistering sunburn can double your chances of getting skin cancer.
- SUNSCREEN WORKS! Use a product with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Use generously, and re-apply every 2 hours! Ask friends to help cover spots you can’t reach.
- SEEK SHADE and COVER UP with long sleeves and pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- CHECK and GET CHECKED. Look for new or changing spots, bumps or moles. See your healthcare provider if you find anything suspicious.
**We highly encourage your own creative tag lines in entry submissions! (i.e. "Get Turnt, not Burnt", "Friends don't let friends get burned.")
5. Committee will review each entry for rules, accuracy of information, and appropriateness for distribution to all ages. Those that meet the requirements will be uploaded to the Rec Center’s official website and Facebook.
Note: Sun Safety Committee has to right to refuse submissions if there is any display of cheating, inappropriate content, or any other signs of lack of integrity.
6. The video will be judged based on quality of content and how viral it is on social media using hashtags (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook). This is not considered a "like" contest. Content must be shared to the Facebook page by APRIL 9, 2018. The committee will select a winner to win $500 cash after April 13, 2018. Sun Bum will also select a winner to receive their prize pack which is worth $500, after April 13, 2018.
7. If filming should take place at The University of Arizona Recreation Center, all subjects in your video should grant you written permission to allow their image to appear. Videographer must submit a Video/Photography Release Form to Campus Recreation Marketing (located in the Business Office, 2nd floor) prior to filming. Use the Multi-Media Consent and Release Form for any subjects filmed.
8. Winners of the Sun Safety Contest will be required to submit a W-9 to receive prize money.
9. Your entry gives the University of Arizona and Sun Bum the rights to use your content in future marketing initiatives.
*Sun Bum Prize Pack to include:
- SPF 30 Lotion
- SPF 30 Spray
- SPF 30 Face Stick
- SPF 50 Face Lotion
- 3 SPF 30 Travel Size (3oz)
- 2 Sonny beach towels
- Sun Bum hat
- Sun Bum football
- Sun Bum keychain
- 2 full collections of Sun Bum SPF 30 Lip Balm, 7 flavors
- Cool Down Lotion and Cool Down Gel
- Tanning Towelettes
- Revitalizing Shampoo & Conditioner
- Blonde Shampoo & Conditioner
- 3 in 1 Leave In Conditioner
- Surf Paste
- Sea Spray
- Hair Lightener
- Dry Shampoo
Contest Co-Sponsored by UA Campus Recreation and Sun Bum
Questions? Contact: CREC-Outreach@email.arizona.edu