Campus Recreation strives to provide unified and integrated health and wellness programs and services for members of the campus community to maintain healthy and active lifestyles and to create a culture that places their health and wellness among the highest priorities.
Dana Santoro, Assistant Director, Fitness & Wellness, 520-626-0816, firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Wellness?
Campus Recreation defines wellness as the awareness of our true potential to live a healthier, happier, and more successful life. The World Health Organization defines wellness as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
Wellness entails much more than just being physically fit or the absence of disease. In fact, there are several dimensions of wellness an individual can work towards to achieve holistic health and happiness.
Why Is Wellness Important?
Everything we do, everything we feel, and every emotion we have can influence our well-being. Our well-being directly effects our actions, emotions, and thoughts. Achieving complete wellness can help diminish stress, mitigate illness, and establish positive feelings, valuable interactions, and happiness.
Eight Dimensions of Wellness
The eight dimensions of wellness that Campus Recreation focuses on are: Emotional, Physical, Social, Financial, Occupational, Environmental, Intellectual, and Spiritual. All dimensions interconnect with one another and are equally important in obtaining holistic well-being. We are able to reach ultimate wellness by fully understanding and working towards optimizing each dimension. For the Wellness Logo Icons Key click here or the logo below.
Emotional Wellness includes trust, self-esteem, self-acceptance, self-confidence and self-control, and it allows us to experience relaxation, reduction of stress, and overall self-care. It is important to be attentive to your own feelings, whether they are positive or negative, and how to handle those emotions. Emotional wellness encourages us to learn and grow from our experiences and allows us to accept how we are feeling. Once we understand our feelings, we can figure out why we feel this way and how we are able to cope or respond.
How do we achieve Emotional Wellness?
Optimism is the key to emotional wellness. Optimistic thinking gives us the ability to understand our emotions and react with a confident attitude so we are able to learn from our mistakes. Below are some steps to enhance emotional wellness.
- Try to stay positive
- Seek or accept help/support from others
- Stay connected to others in valuable relationships
- Accept yourself: minimize negative self-talk and embrace the positive traits you possess.
- Smile often
Upcoming Emotional Wellness Activities
- Parent & Child Swim Lessons
- Inner Tube Water Polo
- Krav Maga Beginner & Advanced
- Yoga Nidra
- 03/11/17-03/16/17 MOAB Utah Multisport - Spring Break Adventure
Campus Resources for Emotional Wellness
- Campus Health, Counseling and Psych Services (CAPS): https://www.health.arizona.edu/counseling-and-psych-services
Social Wellness includes our interactions and relationships with one another. This dimension focuses on building healthy, supportive, and valuable relationships and creating a genuine connection with those around you. Social wellness allows us to create healthy relationships and build a supportive social network. Surrounding ourselves with a positive social network can help increase our self-esteem. Our emotional resilience depends on the strength of our social wellness.
How do we achieve Social Wellness?
Below are some suggestions on how to enhance our social wellness.
- Make an effort to keep in touch with supportive friends and family
- Practice self disclosure
- Participate in group discussions and practice active listening
- Join a club or an organization
- Practice active listening
Campus Recreation Upcoming Social Wellness Events
- Beach Yoga Retreat
- Attend a Club Sport event
- Aqua Club Swim Lessons
- 04/08/17 Into to Mountain Biking
Campus Resources for Social Wellness
- Campus Recreation Intramural Sports: https://rec.arizona.edu/program/intramurals
- Campus Recreation Club Sports: https://rec.arizona.edu/program/club-sports
- ASUA Clubs and Greek Life: http://asuaevp.wix.com/asuaclubs#!clubs-list/mainPage
Financial Wellness involves learning how to successfully manage your finances. Money plays a critical role in our lives and financial stress has found to be a regular source of stress, fear, and anxiety. Tracking expenses and managing a budget are important skills to have in order to be financially responsible, sound, and independent.
How do I achieve Financial Wellness?
Below are some money-managing strategies to build your financial wellness:
- Identify and address any financial problems before they start
- Keep organized records of your finances and spending
- Take advantage of coupons and student discounts
- Plan ahead and set budget goals
Campus Recreation Upcoming Financial Wellness Events
- Filing for FAFSA Workshop
- Employment and 100% Engagement Opportunities at Campus Recreation - Check the About > Employement Section of our website!
Campus Resources for Financial Wellness
- Tips on how to repay your loans from US Department of Education: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/your-federal-student-loans.pdf
- University of Arizona Financial Aid and Scholarships: https://financialaid.arizona.edu
Occupational Wellness allows us to engage in our work and develop personal satisfaction from our accomplishments. Having a positive attitude about work or school can have a huge impact on your actions and abilities. Having optimal occupational health can help you achieve self worth, happiness, and satisfaction.
How do I practice Occupational Wellness?
Here are some tips on how to achieve occupational wellness.
- Think about what you need a job to offer you to fulfill your needs and goals
- What tasks do you like to do? Which tasks do you not like to do?
- Get involved in paid and unpaid volunteering and working opportunities that are interesting to you
- Set goals and work towards them
Campus Recreation Upcoming Occupational Wellness Events
- Lifeguard Training Course
- CPR - Professional Rescuer
- 03/11/17 Wilderness First Responder Course
- Fair Trade Coffee Workshop
- 10/22/17 Scuba Dive at Biosphere 2
Campus Resources for Occupational Wellness
- UA Career Services: https://www.career.arizona.edu
Environmental Wellness is the act of living in a way that is respectful to our surroundings and environment. This dimension encourages us to take action to protect nature and our personal environment.
How Can I Improve My Environmental Wellness?
- Take shorter showers
- Volunteer with environmental organizations
- Conserve energy by turning off the lights, sun drying clothes, unplugging appliances, using reusable bags etc.
Upcoming Events for Environmental Wellness
- 01/22/17 International Student Day Hike
- 04/08/17 Intro to Canoeing
- Poetry Yoga
- Stand-Up Paddleboard Yoga
- 04/28/17 Surfing Southern California
Campus Resources for Environmental Wellness
- Office of Sustainability: http://sustainability.arizona.edu
Intellectual Wellness challenges us through engagement of mentally stimulating and creative activities. Such activities can help us increase our skills and knowledge while also sharing our abilities with others. Optimal intellectual wellness inspires us to explore and become more mindful. It also motivates us to try new things and become a well-rounded individual and have a more balanced life.
How do I Improve my Intellectual Wellness?
- Listen to others
- Choose a new hobby
- Explore different areas of art and creativity
- Be open minded
Campus Recreation Intellectual Wellness Events
- Certified Pool Operator- CPO Training
- Plant Based Diet Workshop
- Mindful Eating Workshop
- Fit Camp
Campus Resources for Intellectual Wellness
Physical Wellness is taking proper care of our bodies through a well balanced diet, having a strong and positive mentality, and participating in regular exercise. Engaging in physical wellness can result in feelings of alertness, energy, happiness, and confidence. Physical well being helps keep your body in pristine condition by producing endorphins, strengthening muscles and bones, and reducing the risk of disease.
How do I Improve my Physical Wellness?
- Do something physically active for at least 30 minutes everyday.
- Use the stairs when possible
- Listen to your body and how you feel
- Eat healthy foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts
- Practice safe sex
- Keep a regular sleep schedule and make sure to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night
Campus Recreation Physical Wellness Upcoming Events
- Personal Training Services
- 6v6 Volleyball
- 02/11/17 Moonlight Hike
- Preschool Aqua Club Swim Lessons
- Kan Jam
Campus Resources for Physical Wellness
Spiritual Wellness encourages us to find purpose and meaning in our human existence. Spiritual wellness also helps us to appreciate life and all of our experiences. It is important for us to find meaning in our lives and to develop a human mind-body connection with yourself and the outside world. It is important to note that spiritual wellness does not necessarily mean you must engage in a religion, however religion can be a way to enhance your spiritual wellness.
How do I Improve my Spiritual Wellness?
- Explore your inner self
- Practice mindful relaxation or meditation
- Practice acceptance
- Send a text or write a note to someone you love and tell them why you love them
- Spend more time outdoors
Campus Recreation Upcoming Spiritual Wellness Events
- Self- Defense
- 02/18/17 Peakbagging Series - #1 Picacho Peak
- H.E.M.A.: German Longsword Training
- Akido Beginner & Advanced