The program seeks to provide exercise, recreation, and fun to participants in a relaxed, yet structured environment. All actions and comments, whether directed to staff, opponents, teammates, or spectators, should be constructive and conducive to fulfilling this purpose. Any negative actions or comments may result in a deduction of Sportsmanship Points for your team. For a full description of potential reasons to lose sportsmanship points, please see Section 7, Article 5 in our handbook.
Each team will earn sportsmanship points for games played. Sportsmanship infractions lead to fewer points being earned per game. Teams will NOT advance to playoffs unless they average 3.5 sportsmanship points and have a .500 record at the end of the regular season.
Any form of a conduct warning (yellow card, unsportsmanlike conduct, technical, etc.) will result in a loss of 1 point. A player receiving 2 conduct warnings will result in a loss of another 1 point and an ejection lowering the rating by a total of 2.
A team will receive a full 5 points if:
- At all times during the game the players and spectators were respectful and followed all rules guiding intramural policy.
A team will receive a maximum of 4 points if:
- Players/Teams/Spectators are assessed unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, technical fouls or yellow cards.
- An individual or team expresses visual or verbal dissent to opposing team.
- Team/individuals who gain illegal entry to a facility prior to the game time.
A team will receive a maximum of 3 points if:
- A player or team persistently argues the official’s judgment during the game.
- A team uses an ineligible player.
- A player is ejected from a game.
- Players/Team/Spectators do not comply with the request of a staff person.
- They default a game.
A team will receive a maximum of 2 points if:
- A team forfeits a game.
- A team, player or spectator is involved in a physical altercation.
- A team/player persists with rough play after being issued an Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
- A player, team or spectator uses abusive language or gestures toward a participant or staff member.
A team will receive a maximum of 1 point if:
- A Team, player or spectator makes intimidating physical contact with a staff member.
- A team, player or spectator threatens harm or violence toward the staff.
- The Players/Team/Spectators use racial epithets, anger motivated outbursts, demeaning, degrading or derogatory statements or homophobic comments before, during or after a game.
- A team forfeits a game due to team/fan misconduct (also receives automatic loss for their next scheduled league or playoff game).
- A team/player leaves the bench area for any reason to participate in an altercation. The team also receives an automatic loss for their next league or playoff game.
- Players/Team/Spectators vandalize equipment, the facility or property.