The University of Arizona's Department of Campus Recreation values inclusivity, diversity, equity and access for all. We support the University’s strategic initiative to create an inclusive environment and promote wellbeing for the University of Arizona community. Our goal is to provide safe services, programs and facilities for all backgrounds, identities and abilities. We foster a culture where people can thrive as individuals within our community.
Comprised of Campus Recreation staff, the Inclusivity Work Team's mission is to foster a culture where people thrive as individuals within our community. The team is guided by the values of trust, transparency, support and communication. Their goal is to continuedly build on items regarding inclusion, diversity, equity and access within Campus Recreation and the University of Arizona community.
Strategies discussed by the Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Group and implemented to date.
- Inclusivity Statement for Campus Recreation
- A webpage dedicated to these efforts (this page)
- Renovated locker rooms with gender inclusive and family style spaces
- Safe Zone training for all full-time staff and diversity and inclusion training for all student staff
- Use of UAZ's new preferred name instead of a legal name in the recreation software
- Educational programs through campus partners on healthy body image
- Educational programs through campus partners on nutrition
- Free weight room orientations and low-cost customized fitness orientations
- Workout Partner sign up at Weight Room desk
- Diverse facility amenities designed to reach all audiences (e.g. Table Tennis tables, Foosball Tables, Video Game stations, etc.)
- Re-organization of 2nd-floor weight room equipment into a circuit (easier to follow for beginners)
- More hand weights in more locations and more smaller weight hand weights
- More equipment and space dedicated to functional fitness
- An expanded slate of health and wellness program offerings
- More inclusive publicity photos (a work in progress!)
- Sanitary napkin receptacles in all restroom stalls regardless of gender
- Free "Day Use" lockers located in non-gender specific areas
- Gender inclusive restrooms/showers located up front in the hallway by the exit turnstiles next to Smart Moves Studio
- Family Room located on the 2nd floor to be used for nursing or mediation
- A direct and accessible entrance to the pool deck off of the Rec Oasis Lounge area
Celebrating Our Diversity
Celebrating Our Diversity is a Campus Recreation initiative designed to honor and highlight all the unique and wonderful people that make up the University of Arizona community. Our goal is to make everyone feel welcome to engage and participate in recreational activities in pursuit of overall wellness and well-being.
This program started with the creation of entrance signs at the REC which offered a heartfelt "Welcome" in the top 15 languages used on campus and continues with two large displays in the main hallway: International Flags: Students from Around the World and Arizona Sovereign Native Nations: Students from Around Arizona.